The People’s Holiday
What Happened On 24 January
- 1990 Japan launches its first lunar probe
Hiten was the first robotic lunar probe since the Soviet Luna 24 in 1976 and the first deep space probe that executed an aerobraking maneuver.
- 1984 The Apple Macintosh computer goes on sale
The “Mac” was the first commercially successful personal computer using a graphical user interface and a mouse.
- 1946 The United Nations General Assembly passes its fist resolution
Resolution 1 was passed to found the United Nations Atomic Energy Commission (UNAEC).
- 1848 The California Gold Rush begins
Some 300,000 people traveled to California after James W. Marshall had found gold at Sutter’s Mill in Coloma, California.
- 1835 Slaves stage a rebellion in Brazil to end slavery
The Malê Revolt was instrumental in ending slavery in Brazil.
Births On 24 January
- 1943 Sharon Tate
- 1941 Neil Diamond
American singer-songwriter, guitarist
- 1776 E. T. A. Hoffmann
German jurist, author
- 1712 Frederick the Great
- 76 Hadrian
Deaths On 24 January
- 1989 Ted Bundy
American serial killer
- 1986 L. Ron Hubbard
American religious leader, author, founded the Church of Scientology
- 1965 Winston Churchill
English politician, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1895 Lord Randolph Churchill
English politician, Chancellor of the Exchequer
- 41 Caligula